Monday, May 31, 2010

My friendship Melting pot

Peru, Poland, Turkey. Black, White, Asian. Introverts, extroverts, somewhere in between. I've noticed, that after years of meeting and making friends, I have a melting pot of friendships. I have friends that act like 40 year olds and I have friends that I can stay up all night with. There are friends I can tell everything to and there are friends who would judge me if I told them everything. When I think about all of my friends, 531 one of them according to Facebook, I realize, not what I've learned from them, but how I am around them.

For example, I have a friend who, to be cliche, can't handle the truth. If you make a suggestion or offer an alternative view point from theirs, they jump down your throat. So around that friend, I just let them think whatever they want to think and I keep my mouth shut.

Another good friend of mine, is a 40-something stuck in a 20-something's body. They tire easy, and can't stay up too late. When I'm around that friend, I hang with them while they can hang with me. I don't push them to much, or they'd get mad.

I guess what I'm getting from all of this, is that I'm able to adjust to meet the needs of those around me. I'm able learn the ways of others and change into the person they need be to be.

A best friend of mine once told me that I acted differently around other people. I didn't understand what she meant. Now I do. There are some friends, I can't be me around. I have to be the person they need me to be. And then I have those friends that I can be me around. Those friends are my best friends. They're my favorite part of my friendship melting pot. They may not be the most diverse, but they certainly are the best.

No comments: